today’s five top five features someone who i absolutely love following on instagram – Amy’s inspiring love for flowers and all things natural is a delight to see. first, follow her on instagram here, then read on for more about Amy, and all the things she loves about edmonton and weddings!
tell us a little bit about yourself & what you do in the edmonton wedding world!
Hi, I’m Amy. I own a floral design business, Amy Sanderson Flowers, which specializes in seasonal, garden-inspired arrangements for weddings and events. We provide everything from lush bouquets to large floral installations. I spend a lot of time hunting down the best blooms for each client from flower wholesalers, local nurseries, my garden and the gardens of my friends and family.
While I grew up in Edmonton, I also had the opportunity to live in New York City for a few years, and that’s where I really developed as a floral designer. New York has an intense and thrilling flower culture and I love to visit when I can. I always find new flower varieties, fancy ribbon or antique vases to bring back to Edmonton.
top five best things about your job:
– The chance to be a part of someone’s wedding – there is nothing like the rush of helping a couple put on a big party for their loved ones or handing the bride her dream bouquet. Every one of them is special and infused with lots of emotion!
– I get commissioned to do something I love – floral design is my chosen art form and it is gratifying to make flowers for appreciative clients.
– I have an excuse to buy all the seeds, bulbs and plants that I want (at least until I run out of room in the garden).
– Working with other wedding vendors to create beautiful weddings and inspirational photo shoots.
– Finding creative ways to meet my clients’ needs.
top five edmonton wedding vendors you love working with:
In no particular order:
– Birds & Honey Weddings & Design – Mana brings talent and artistry together like no one else I’ve met in Edmonton, plus we have a shared appreciation for good food and coral charm peonies
– Milton Photography – Justine takes photos that suggest she lives in a dreamier world than the rest of us
– Breathless Moments – Nicole truly cares for her clients and I’m so excited to work on an upcoming wedding with her
– Connie Quiza – Connie is exceptionally good at subtle makeup and soft hair, my favourites!
top five best things about living in edmonton:
– Being close to my family
– Old Strathcona Farmers Market – after living in New York I realized that our farmers grow some of the best produce anywhere. Our carrots and cucumbers are so much sweeter. And our potatoes! If you haven’t tried Alberta Blush potatoes what are you waiting for?
– Low humidity (trust me, once you’ve lived out east you will treat low humidity for the gift that it is in both summer and winter)
– The big sky with northern lights, thunderstorms and beautiful winter sunrises and sunsets
– The River Valley trail system
top five things to do in edmonton:
– Sledding – the river valley is full of great sledding hills. Now that I’m a bit older I prefer to use our plastic laser luge but sometimes all you want is a good crazy carpet ride
– Visit local u-picks for berries and vegetables – very few things are more satisfying than picking pail after pail of ripe strawberries
– Tour local bakeries – you won’t find better bread than the loaves you can buy from Bon Ton, Prairie Mill or Bonjour. I used to take frozen loaves made from Alberta wheat back to New York.
– Picnic at Emily Murphy Park – we’ve tried other parks but this one is our favourite for its shady sites with fire boxes, access to the river, small playground and a nice open spot for soccer or Frisbee
– Attend a concert at the Winspear Centre – world class venue that welcomes everyone from community choirs (of which we have many, many excellent ones!) to Yo-Yo Ma. If they happen to be playing the organ that night, even better!